Friday, April 18, 2014

Hari Raya Celebration

Hari Raya is a significant holiday which is celebrated all throughout the globe by Muslim people. It marks the end of Ramadan which is the Islamic holy month of fasting. Since I am working in a Muslim country (Malaysia) I am new with this kind of culture. In the Philippines we also have this for Muslim people but this is the first time that I have encountered it first hand. Meaning to say the people around me who practise this.

According to my colleague (Che Omar) September is not only a fasting month to them which involves eating meals before 5.30am and after 6:00pm if I am not mistaken . One should also say sorry to those who they have hurt and give thanks to Allah. It also teaches a Muslim to stay away from worldly desires and to focus entirely on the Lord and thank Him for his blessings

Azila, Stefanie's (my housemate) colleague under marketing, invited us to their house for a dinner. She said that it is a small party of gathering to give thanks to her workmates by having a feast. So who could say no to food. Being a food junky I tag along with them. 


Waiting for Victor to pick us up. Me and my housemate Ritchie


Malays, Chinese, Indonesian and Filipinos having fun. 
Time passed by with laughter and stories that overwhelmed each and everyone of us. Respect and understanding is the key to a good relationship no matter what race, colour or ethnicity you are. I learned during my 4 months and so of staying here that you can find something common in everyone no matter what. You just have to talk, listen, decipher and be open-minded. The more you listen to them the more you engage with their life. One must appreciate and not surmise.

with the beautiful Fizah (correct me), Azila's pretty baby and the kids! 

Happiness all over 



No comments:

Post a Comment